Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Choices

Yesterday was all about choices and I mostly made bad ones. I had a lot of different options I could have chosen and while some were good (skipping breakfast out) some were bad (Del Taco for dinner, not exercising).

I realized last night and again this morning, how many choices I make and how they effect my life. I know, I know, this should seem elementary, but if you look at most people, they don't realize it. For example, I chose to eat 2 1/2 lb. Del Taco burritos. i could have chosen the chili I made or I could have even chosen the tacos, which were less than half the calories. But I didn't, so I ended my day eating 1,950 calories. I could have chosen to exercise after Dave left and the girls went to bed, but instead I chose to sit and watch TV so I ended up burning only about 200 calories yesterday. Those choices will set my weight loss back.

Every choice we make has an effect, whether we realize it or not. It could be good or bad, but it has an effect and I need to see that. I need to realize that the choices I make today not only effect the next 5 to 10 minutes, but the rest of my day, my week, my month, my year and my lifetime. How many times before have I eaten a burger instead of cooking dinner because "I was tired and worn out". I traded a half an hour in my kitchen for pounds on my frame that I now desperately want to be rid of.

Seeing the choices I made yesterday makes me want to make good choices and make them all the time. I need to realize just what an effect even the little choices have on my every day life. Even something as simple as "should I brush my teeth today?" can have huge consequences in the future and so many of us don't even realize it. The choice is ours and ours alone. The choice is mine and mine alone, so the question becomes, am I making a good choice or a bad one? How will this choice effect today, tomorrow, this week, this month, this year and my lifetime?

No comments:

Post a Comment